More times than I want to admit it – I don’t listen to others all that well. Hey – after all – I am paid to TALK – not always to listen.
In the 7 Habits of Kick Ass people (I think the actual title might be Highly Effective People or something like that) – we learn there are different levels of listening. I am really going to work on empathic listening from now!
- Ignoring – here we are not listening at all – it was I do when I hear a Kayne West song 😉
- Pretending – I am guilty of this with my wife sometimes
- Selective listening – we are only hearing what we want to really
- Attentive listening (active) – we are paying attention and focusing energy on the process
- Empathic listening – the highest level we can achieve!