Here is the continuation of my notes from the Keynote addresses at the 2017 AWS Re: Invent conference. Enjoy!
Computing at Scale
- Growth in EC2 has been HUGE when you look at the increase in cores running in AWS
- But GPU and FPGA core growth rates have crushed that! It has been exponential growth
- Machine Learning always seems to come up about every 5 years – then fades away again
- This time it is “sticking” thanks in large part to the scale that the cloud offers
- Tu Simple with autonomous transport (trucking industry)
- Matrix Analytics with tumor recognition for cancer screening
- Clemson University and natural language learning – in the span of two hours, they had 1.1 million cores running on AWS!
- There are three big drivers of the explosion in this technology:
- HW acceleration capabilities thanks to technology from the likes of Nvidia (P3.16XLARGE instances)
- Improvements in the Machine Learning frameworks
- A rapidly growing community
- NNVM and TVM