Here is my final installment in power Google search tips – have fun!
19 – Page Titles – want to be really specific with your search? You can restrict it to just page titles with intitle:eigrp for example.
20 – Use Google on your Site – check out www.google.com/cse to use the Google search technology for your own Web site.
21 – Advanced Search – having trouble remembering all the syntax for the various advanced search options? Just use www.google.com/advanced_search. It is the GUI method! 🙂
22 – Choose your Source – use the source: command to filter content – for example Cisco Systems source:techradar. Don’t forget to click on NEWS after this search for it to work.
23 – Catch a Movie – need a study break? Search on showtimes – you can even follow that with a location.
24 – Conversions – try things like 20 GBP in USD or 12 cm in inches.
25 – Plain Language – try using plain language in your searching like “What is the stratum in NTP?”
I sure hope you enjoyed these 25 tips for power Google use.
Here are more great tips on power Google searching! Check out the IT Cert category of this blog for the previous parts of this series.
14 – Stay Anonymous – want to eliminate Google from tracking what you are up to as you search? Be sure to log out of your Google account. Just click your image in the top right and choose Sign Out.
15 – Get More Search Results – if you want to see more than 10 results on a page for your Google search – click the cog in the top right of a Google search. Choose Search Settings. Disable instant search predictions and then you can set how many results you want returned for each search. Keep in mind that asking for too many per page can really slow down a system.
16 – SafeSeach – in order to eliminate most violent and inappropriate content that could show up in a search – you can use the SafeSearch feature by clicking the cog in the top right of a search. You can even lock this setting in the Search Settings option.
17 – WebCam Views! – Search for inurl:view/view.shtml in order to peep in on WebCam views from around the world. OK, OK – now get back to studying!
18 – Trends? – want to blog about something people around the world are searching for? Check out www.google.com/trends
Come back tomorrow for more cool tips!
Ready for more power Google tips? Here they are:
6. Local Searching – looking for something nearby? Try – “NY Style Pizza” 01505 – or, if for some reason you do not know where you are – hit Search Tools after your search and use the area options – including the ability to auto-detect your area.
7. Better Images – use the Search Tools options at images.google.com and do all kinds of cool things like select the type of image you need and even find royalty-free stuff.
8. Better Images – Part 2 – search for something general like cliff, and the images results will give you more specific suggestions at the top of the screen.
9. Web History – want to improve the accuracy of Google auto-recommendations for you, and also get a nice detailed history of your searching – check out history.google.com – are you freaked out about Internet privacy – don’t go near this feature. 🙂
10. Time Sensitive? – Use the Search Tools option in order to refine the time range of what you are looking for. I love this feature combined with news.google.com – especially when I am checking for NFL injury information.
11. Site Down? – web site down you desperately need to get to? Try cache:cisco.com in your search in order to pull up a cached copy.
12. File Types – want a specific type of file about a subject? No problem – for example – filetype:pdf “EIGRP Named Mode”
13. Let Google Help – Google will suggest related searches at the bottom of the page that just might help you narrow things down for what you need.
More great tips on the way in the next post…