Cisco’s own answer to GNS3 is finally getting an update with lots of improvements. Granted they had us spoiled before at the breakneck pace they were releasing updates.
VIRL PE 1.3 will be released on Wednesday, August 23, 2017. Important changes in this release include:
- Updated virtual machines:
- IOSvL2, including many bug fixes, including fixes for ARP L2 MAC address learning and port channel issues
- CSR1000v 16.5.1, including an increase in the bandwidth cap from 100kbps to 1mbps
- IOS XRv 6.1.3
- ASAv 9.7.1
- NX-OSv 9000 7.0.3.I6.1, not bundled, but available for download and supported out-of-the-box
- Infrastructure refreshed to Ubuntu 16.04, KVM/QEMU 2.5, and OpenStack Mitaka to ensure the ability of VIRL PE to run the latest router VMs.
- Updated installation instructions and simpler single-interface installation options.
- Bug fixes for the core VIRL PE components.
- Single user restriction will be enforced starting with VIRL PE 1.3. That is, with version 1.3 and newer, only a single project ‘guest’ with a single user ‘guest’ can be created and used at the same time.
- VIRL PE 1.3 will require a fresh installation, either by deploying the OVA or — for bare metal systems — by installing the ISO image. If you are running VIRL 1.2.83 or earlier today, you cannot perform an in-place upgrade.